Book #34: Shooting the Moon by Frances O'Roark Dowell
This book is set during the time of the Vietnam War (Conflict? I don't know what we call it now but it was a war in my mind so I'm sticking with it.). Jamie Dexter's brother TJ joins the army and Jamie is thrilled. She has grown up with a Colonel father and she and her family live and breath army life. Jamie can't wait to get letters from her brother describing battles and the sights and smells of Vietnam. But the first letter isn't a letter. It's a roll of film and Jamie learns to develop the film for her brother. As more rolls of film come to Jamie, the shiny exterior of the army begins to fade for her.
I liked this book but it wasn't one that grabbed me and made me keep reading. I think it's appropriate for grades 3+. The reading level is about a middle of 5th grade level though.
This book is set during the time of the Vietnam War (Conflict? I don't know what we call it now but it was a war in my mind so I'm sticking with it.). Jamie Dexter's brother TJ joins the army and Jamie is thrilled. She has grown up with a Colonel father and she and her family live and breath army life. Jamie can't wait to get letters from her brother describing battles and the sights and smells of Vietnam. But the first letter isn't a letter. It's a roll of film and Jamie learns to develop the film for her brother. As more rolls of film come to Jamie, the shiny exterior of the army begins to fade for her.
I liked this book but it wasn't one that grabbed me and made me keep reading. I think it's appropriate for grades 3+. The reading level is about a middle of 5th grade level though.



No comments:
Post a Comment