Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Censoring imagination and the real world?

Book #28 Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jess Aarons is the fastest runner at his school until a new girl (Leslie Burke) challenges him at the begging of the year. Leslie and her parents are new to the rural town and are bit odd (they don't own a TV!!). Leslie and Jess soon become friends. Leslie is imaginative in her play and it's her idea to create Terabithia, their make-believe kingdom.


I love this book! I read it because it's on the banned book list so I assumed that it would be full of vulgar comments, racism, profanity, instructions on making pipe bombs...something horrible. It wasn't. As far as I can tell is it was banned/censored because people are idiots. Leslie's family doesn't believe in God and thinks of the Bible as a fictional story. There is some mild cussing but nothing that most kids haven't heard yet--most of the "cussing" are things like this: "Next a string of cuss words..." "Billy yelled a cuss word..." . Leslie calls her parents by their first names. At the end something does happen that is difficult to deal with but I think books are a great way for children to deal with difficult issues and figure out how they will deal with that issue when it comes up in their life because it will happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails