Monday, July 13, 2009

Philanthropy

Ok. I've realized there is so much I need for my classroom and though I'd really like to spend all of my savings in less than a month to buy all I need, I can't feasibly do that. With that in mind, I joined donorschoose.org to help me meet the vast needs.

If you haven't heard, there are huge budget cuts this year and us first-year teachers will most likely not get as much money as in the past. That super sucks because I want the best for my students and there are things that I know would make a huge impact on my classroom and the learning they'd be able to do but without the money I'll be unable to provide these little extras.

I want my students to leave 6th grade as confident and proficient writers and the best way to accomplish this goal is to have a writers' workshop. I could do this with cheap spiral bound notebooks (which is what I will do if this project isn't funded) but there are more professional ways that will show my students that I mean business when I ask them to write. I consider them authors, not just kids who write. They have so much to say and have great stories but many times they do not understand this. Along with helping them to become proficient writers, I want them to enjoy writing, to look at themselves as authors, to be able to explain things in writing, to know that they have amazing stories to tell.


I know times are tough but if you can give anything, it would be appreciated. Just click here to go to my page. On the right side, you'll see a green box that says "give $" and you fill in the amount you want to give then click the green arrow. From there you fill in your information and you contribute to me having an amazing bunch a writers. How philanthropic of you!

Here is the form letter donorschoose.org sent to me to send to all my friends:


Dear friends,


I want my students to have as many great learning opportunities as possible, but sometimes I just can't get the funding I need. To address this issue, I turned to DonorsChoose.org.


Here's the scoop. At this nonprofit website, public school teachers (like me!) submit projects for materials or experiences their students need to learn. These ideas become a reality when concerned individuals (like you!) choose projects to fund. Donors who complete project funding or give more than $100 receive photos and personal thank-you notes from the students they helped. It's easy - and very rewarding.


The great news is that my project, Writing is like Ice Skating, is now posted at DonorsChoose.org! Check it out at:http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=292533&utm_source=teachers&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TeacherMarketing


Take a look. Also, please consider supporting me and my students by forwarding this message to others who may be interested in improving education.


Best regards,


Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails