I didn't post yesterday because I was exhausted and in a "why am I a teacher?" mood. It was just not a fun day yesterday but I came back with vigor and today was much better...aside from the pile of puke.
Let's rewind. On day 1 I told my kids about my bathroom policy. They can go as long as no one else is gone and we're not doing a whole group thing (i.e. I'm talking). But if you have to puke, "grab the trash can and run to the bathroom."
Today a boy comes up to me looking completely fine and says in a normal voice, "I'm not feeling well, can I go to the nurse?" Because he looked fine, had gone through the day without incident and we were doing math (which he hates) I told him to get a drink and go to the bathroom to see if he felt better. As he's walking to the back of the room he pukes all over. Oh, gosh. I thought my run to the bathroom rule would keep this from happening.
I also thought that 11-year-olds could tell when they had to throw up. Maybe not.
Luckily, we have a fantastic janitor that responds to distressed first year teachers very quickly and he cleaned it up and made our classroom fresh and clean...Thanks, Dan!
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment