Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Wrinkle in Time


Book #24 A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle



Meg Murray, her younger brother Charles Wallace and friend Calvin O'Keefe must find Mr. Murray, a physicist working to explore the 5th dimension, by traveling to other planets in other galaxies. They find that Mr. Murray is a prisoner on the planet Camazotz. On this planet, all suffering is gone and in exchange the people are expected to conform completely. It's a story of love, courage, and personal strength.


I read this book because I remember it being read to my 4th grade class. Read alouds were much different then and all we were to do was listen. There were no questions, no talking about the book...you just sat and listened and moved on with your day. This book is written at about a 6th grade level. While children can understand much higher levels when read to them, they still need some discussion of difficult or important parts to fully understand. I think this is why I remember enjoying some parts but being confused and not getting the whole story as a 4th grader.


It made me wonder, what would you be willing to give up to live in a seemingly perfect world with no suffering?

"Maybe if you aren't unhappy sometimes you don't know how to be happy." (p. 157)

2 comments:

  1. A Wrinkle in Time has always been one of my favorite books. I agree that it is a bit confusing for 4th grade. I am amazed at all of these books you are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but I'm still quite far from my goal! Good luck with your last week of school!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails