Monday, June 29, 2009

Julie of the Wolves

Book #26 Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George

Miyax is a 13-year-old girl who's mother is dead and her father disappeared while hunting. She runs away and intends to use the survival skills her father taught her to get from Point Barrow to Point Hope. From there she hopes to get a job on a ship as a laundress or cook and work her way to San Fransisco to meet her pen pal Amy who always ends her letters with "When are you coming to San Fransisco?"

Miyax finds that the tundra of Alaska is much different than home and soon becomes lost. She remembers what her father told her and begins to use body language to communicate with a pack of wolves, hoping they will take her in and feed her.

I think this must be one of those books that I "read" in elementary school or it is very similar to another book I've read. I'm going with the I read it in school and the memory of it got lost in my brain until I rediscovered it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails