Thursday, June 11, 2009

End of an Era

I don't know how I let myself do this but I'm reading 3 novels at once. ugh. What was I thinking? I'm going to try to finish one tonight and finally post about it tomorrow. The other two may take a bit longer because I'm not really into them yet.

I worked at The Children's Center today. I also gave my two weeks notice. The group home isn't shutting down until July 31 but I just felt like I needed to get out now and concentrate on me. That sounds selfish but I've spent the past 5 years worrying and losing sleep over the issues that these little guys face on a daily basis. I need to spend the summer doing what I want and need to be doing. I need to prepare for the new school year. I need to just have time. I miss my family, I miss my friends.

Let's make something clear. Even though I have complained about the center many times and I think some policies there are ridiculous, I love love love what I do at the center. I love the kiddos and think we do very impressive work. I'm going to miss the kids so much and it makes me sad to think that I won't get to see any of their last days. There is one boy in particular that I want to see leave and go to a loving family. He's the boy I talked about in this post. I'm happy to say the "trainees" are doing very well and it seems like the placement will move forward. I hope it does. I really like this family and my little buddy is growing really attached to them (which is super difficult for him). Because he has such difficulties, he will be the last one out of the group home.


The center will always have a special place in my heart. I will always remember the things I learned there, the wonderful people I met, and the differences I made in the lives of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails