Thursday, June 25, 2009

Death




Book #20 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Check out Zusak's website. The Book Thief opens with "It's just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . ."

The story is set in Germany during WWII. It is the story of a foster girl names Liesel Meminger who lives with her foster father and mother outside of Munich. The book is narrated by Death. With the help of her foster father, Liesel learns to read and begins stealing books whenever she can get her hands on them. She uses these stories to help sustain her family, friends and the Jew hiding in her basement.

I really enjoyed this book though I would not recommend it for elementary aged children. The reading level is quite easy but the topics and language are not something that would be good for most elementary aged children. I would recommend this for 8th grade and up. If you want to learn to swear and insult others in German, this is the book for you.


"People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations, with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spat blues. Murky darknesses. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails