Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sarah, Plain and Tall


Book #21 Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

This book takes place in the 1800s. It is about a widowed farmer and his two children (Anna and Caleb). The farmer advertises for a wife and Sarah comes from Maine. She is very homesick and tells the children how much she misses the ocean. One day she goes into town alone and Caleb worries that she will never return. She comes back with colored pencils so she can draw how beautiful Maine is. She tells the children that though she misses Maine, she would miss them more.


I remember reading this book in 3rd grade and hating it. But that's no surprise. I hated everything a teacher gave me to read. So I thought I'd give it another shot. Nope, still hated it. It's well written, it receive a Newbery Medal but it just wasn't a book I was interested in. But don't take that as a reason not to read it. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who love this book.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails