Let's get a little back story on why this pasta dinner had to happen.
First, on Saturday, I picked up my very first Bountiful Basket. It was filled with loads of fruit and veggies. Today, I realized I still had my giant bag of spinach and it was fading fast. I had to make something.
Enter Tracey's Culinary Adventures. Holey loads of delicious recipes, Batman! I immediately made a giant list of everything I wanted to try. Fusilli with Spinach and Asiago Cheese was the first to meet my kitchen.
I changed the recipe up a bit to suit our tastes and what we had on hand. Here's how I did it. (Italicized portions are things I added or changed.)
1 chicken breast
1 lb penne pasta
1/4 cup canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (9 oz) bag fresh spinach
1 tomato, cut into bite sized pieces (I remove seeds and the other gross innards because I hate them)
1 cup (about 3 1/2 oz) grated Asiago
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 T. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Cook chicken in a skillet. Season to taste. (I used pepper, season salt, and onion powder.) Remove from pan, set aside.
Add the pasta to a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until al dente according to the package directions (probably about 8-10 minutes). Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
While the pasta cooks, use same skillet to warm oil slightly over medium heat. Add the garlic to the pan. Cook just until fragrant (be careful not to burn it or it will be bitter). Add the crushed red pepper, spinach and tomatoes and cook until the spinach wilts. Turn off the heat under the pan. Mix in the pasta then add both cheeses, almonds and the pasta cooking liquid. Gently stir to combine then transfer to a large serving bowl.
Serve hot.
| You're totally licking your computer screen right now. |
| love |


No comments:
Post a Comment