Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Turns Out I Have A Lot of Time on My Hands

As awesome as having a summer off is, it sometimes gets a little lonely.  No one is home...anywhere.  Not many adults get the summer off.  Shocker.

Anyway, because of this I've got whole days to figure out how to entertain myself.  This summer, I'm loving sewing...I know, weird.

About mid-afternoon, after I had gotten my windshield replaced...ugh...I decided to take a look at my fabric piles and my crafy list.  I decided on the gathered clutch (which I bought fabric for last year around Mother's Day).

I was a bit nervous about this tutorial (zippers, interfacing and lots of layers...Aye yi yi!) but I remembered the things I had learned with my last few sewing projects (pins and rulers are friends) and forged ahead.

Aside from the fact that I added an extra inch to the front and back (which I fixed before it was too late) and sewed fabric onto the zipping part of the zipper (also, fixed.  Thanks seam ripper)  this was remarkably easy.

Let's start with what I learned during this project:
  • When the tutorial says "Get an 8 inch zipper" don't get a 7 inch zipper and think you can fool anyone. 
  • Pins, rulers and irons are friends...as long as they don't poke or burn you.
  • Whomever made the tutorial knows what he/she is talking about.  DO NOT think you know better.

Here's my finished product:

Not nearly as perfect as the tutorial ones but for a first try I give myself an A+++
I changed the card holder part a bit.  Instead of doing 2 pockets and having my cards go in landscape, I did 3 pockets so I could put them in portrait (I've got butt loads of cards and it seemed to fit better).

I should have put one card in the right pocket...but I didn't.  Just pretend with me.
And there you have it, lovelies...another successful sewing project.  Dang!  I'm good.  Feel free to lather me with uplifting and glorious comments.

3 comments:

  1. So stinkin' cute! I expect some of your lovely craft projects to show up in future family reunion auctions. I'm not going this year, so no pressure to make anything cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously so impressed with your skills! Oh and how productive you're being!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove it!! You are so talented!!! (and the fabric is so you!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails