I received an email today from the president of the Jordan Education Association (JEA). She sent a link to this article. (Please go read the article. It's really short and it will help you understand what I'm saying.)
First, most people in charge of school districts were, at one time or another, a teacher. What I don't understand is how these people could, in good conscience, constitute merit pay. Merit pay does nothing but create competition between teachers. Competition does not create a healthy school, let alone a healthy school district.
Second, as much as I want to say that all student learning depends on the teacher, much of student learning actually depends on home life. I can be the best teacher in the world but if my students come to school scared because of circumstances at home or with empty bellies or tired because mom and dad let them stay up all night playing video games or never do their homework or are constantly told (verbally or through parental actions) that school doesn't matter, my best teaching will do nothing. How am I supposed to raise test scores (and therefore, receive my raise) with things outside of my control? The school I work at has a quite low socioeconomic status. We have had horrible test scores in the past (I'm talking below 50%, people) but in the past three year we have worked incredibly hard to raise those scores. Still, after all this hard work (and getting parents involved) we are still only in the upper 70s. How can I compare with schools just down the street who have an advanced placement strand and 90% of their parents volunteering on a regular basis?
Third, this whole "sign or you're fired" thing? What the...? Since when do we live in a communist country?
Fourth, I'm not asking you to feel bad for teachers. I know there are plenty of people who have lost wages because of the difficult economic times. I know there are plenty of people who are not being paid for the huge amounts of work they do. What I'm asking you is to look out for students. All students, regardless of their parent's income, deserve an amazing free and public education.
Blerg.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh my hell!!
ReplyDeleteAhhh!!! I can't believe how many places are actually adopting merit pay! How could anyone possibly think it will make thing better?!
ReplyDelete