Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Number 2

I told you about my students writing goals here and about how one of my students wanted to "be more awesome" and "find a girlfriend."

What I forgot to mention was that the next day he said, "Hey Miss J. My number 2 is coming along pretty good." Because I was teaching and it was a crazy time, I had no idea what he was talking about and immediately thought he was talking about poop...mostly because he's a sixth grade boy and why else would you say "number 2" if not referring to that "number 2." Because I didn't think he need to tell me about how great his number 2s are, I questioned him a bit more. He said, "Remember yesterday? My number 2...the letter?" Cue light bulbs. Oh. The girlfriend. "That's nice K. but I still don't think it's a great goal for you."

So, being the sarcastic, always-give-you-a-hard-time-but-in-a-loving-way teacher that I am, I ask him about the goal every once in a while by saying something like, "How's your number 2 coming?" And I always do so when he's with girls because it's just too easy. He usually says something like, "Oh, pretty well."

Today was different...today when asked, he said,

"I finished that goal yesterday."

"Someone at this school?"

"No. She's a year older."

"Oh, K. Good luck."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails