I know...you had to do a complete double take but it's true...I've finally finished another book.
Book #42: Zlata's Diary by Zlata Filipovic
From September 1991 to October 1993 Zlata Filipovic kept a diary. It began like any other 11-year-old's diary would; talk of friends, MTV, school, and piano lessons. She soon begins writing of the war that is ravaging her country. She writes of severe shortages of food, water, and gas; the end of her privilege childhood in Sarajevo. She gives vivid descriptions of how war ravages a country and affects the people.
I read this with one of my reading groups and I couldn't believe that an 11-year-old girl (a 6th grader) could write such profound things. Though she has been described as a modern Anne Frank, I don't think her diary carries as much weight as Anne Frank's does.
Book #42: Zlata's Diary by Zlata FilipovicFrom September 1991 to October 1993 Zlata Filipovic kept a diary. It began like any other 11-year-old's diary would; talk of friends, MTV, school, and piano lessons. She soon begins writing of the war that is ravaging her country. She writes of severe shortages of food, water, and gas; the end of her privilege childhood in Sarajevo. She gives vivid descriptions of how war ravages a country and affects the people.
I read this with one of my reading groups and I couldn't believe that an 11-year-old girl (a 6th grader) could write such profound things. Though she has been described as a modern Anne Frank, I don't think her diary carries as much weight as Anne Frank's does.
"The forces of war don't know anything about love and the desire to save something. They just know how to destroy, burn, take things away" (p. 53)


No comments:
Post a Comment