Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wrath of Miss J

I told my students on Tuesday that if I got a bad report from the sub that they would feel my wrath. I was hoping that would scare them enough but apparently it didn't.

I also realized last night that I'm not really an angry, wrathful person. After talking to the other 6th grade teachers, I decided that I would just be normal during the day until we talked about it.

So here's a play-by-play of the day:

I got everything ready for the day and made sure I was out of the room when they came in. I came in to utter silence and a lot of scared faces. All I said was, "I heard we have a lot of thieves in this class but don't worry about it right now. We have a lot of work to do and we'll talk about it during lunch." That made many "who didn't do anything wrong" very angry. I told them to sit down and get to work.

So all day I was normal. We went through P.E., reading groups, and the rest of the morning like nothing happened. By we, I actually mean I. My students were so scared I'm sure some of them pooped their pants. And 2 mysteriously got sick right before lunch...hmmm?

So right before we lined up for lunch, I told them they were all going to sit together at the same table and were not allowed to leave before I came back to get them. "What? At the same table? We can't sit by our friends?" No. You're a bunch of "buttheads" (they actually called themselves this later in the story), sit down and be quiet.

So I go back and get them from lunch and we go to the classroom. I didn't know where to start so I just sat back and looked mean and said, "Who wants to start?" They all looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Finally someone raised their hand and we had a big discussion first on what actually happened and then I told them they broke my heart and cried like a baby again.

I told them how I can't trust them right now but I still like them and I would never hate them. I told them they would have to work really hard to earn my trust back. I cried and carried on for about 10 minutes. We had 10 minutes until recess would have been over so I said, "I'm going to leave you here to think about what you did while I go finish my lunch." And I walked out to the sound of nothing but sniffles.

When I came back in, they were all silently writing letters of apology to me. They all handed them to me and I got ready to go on to writing. We were going to read a book and then write a similar story but I couldn't do it hearing such loud sniffling. So we stopped, pushed the desks back and made a pact to work harder from today on. Then I just let them pass a small ball around and get whatever off their chest. I thought it would be 20-30 minutes tops. We did this for an hour and 15 minutes.

The kids were opening up about all kinds of stuff. And everyone was crying. It was amazing to me that they would all feel that comfortable to cry like they did. It was fantastic but very emotionally exhausting.

I also had recess duty today so all the girls were coming up to me and hugging me and bonding like girls do after they've all cried together.

Oh, what a odd few days. Now we go off track tomorrow and I hope that they remember their pact to try harder tomorrow and the rest of the year.

It felt like I really got through to them today. So many of them talked about how they come from families who are drug addicts or gang members and how they don't want to go down that same road. Woot for hopefully beginning to change lives.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley my love! How ARE you?!? I have not been very good about keeping in touch but I sure miss you! Not to mention I am super impressed by your teaching skills...or atleast on handling what sounds like a rough situation! Sounds like things are going pretty well for you (excpet this day:)! Where are you teaching? BTW I love your blog!! You are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails