Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Whining = No Privileges For You

I teach p.e. to two 6th grade classes once a week.  When it's cold outside, I have to be creative to get that many 6th graders in the gym.  Yesterday, I thought we'd play crab soccer with a giant ball. I think it's a fun game.  Apparently 6th graders don't.  They all grumbled and whined and complained.  I cancelled p.e. and had them write essays about why they should be respectful and thankful that they get two p.e.s a week while all other grades only get one.  Here are some of the gems I got:

"I'm sorry if we disrespected you.  To tell you the truth, I didn't want to play crab soccer at first, but then I wanted to.  Some people I talked to wanted to do it.  I'm really thankful though that we get all the fun things you provide for us."   ~TI

"I'm not very happy that some people were giving my teacher an attitude but I have to live with it."   ~NK

"We should be bowing to our teachers because they work their butts off to teach us and just hand us p.e."   ~CV

"Our teachers are really nice and kind to give us their extra time.  They could let us do art or something, but they think an extra p.e. would make US HAPPY.  That is what they think about."   ~CB

"We didn't have p.e. today cause we weren't thankful for what we have.  I guess you don't realize what you have until you've lost it.  Everyone said, "That game stinks!"  I realize now that we need to stop doing that cause it's rude and ignorant.  I am sorry!"   ~SL

"I don't like some of the games we play but I don't complain because I'm too busy being thankful."   ~JB

"I'm mad at everyone that had groaned.  It's not nice, what they did.  It's rude to you and to everyone who doesn't get to play now.  I think people are rude when they do that.  Now we can't play and it's unfair to everyone.  But, because we did that we shouldn't be able to go.  Your choice was fair and I'm ok with your decision."   ~KW

"All the other grades only get p.e. once a week so when we whine or complain we are basically saying we don't want or deserve to be there.  We need to appreciate what our teachers do for us and make them feel appreciated or maybe one day they will just stop."  ~FT
 

I think they'll appreciate any activity we do in p.e. from now on...or at least for the next 3 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley I am so glad to see this blog. I have missed a lot in your life. Congrats on the wedding and being a teacher. This is a priceless set of thank you notes. I don't know if you will remember this or what we used to say it about but when I think of you this is what comes to mind, "happy smile, happy smile." hmmm... Well so glad to see you are doing good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails