Sunday, March 27, 2011

Curry Makes My Belly Happy

I make this curry all the time now.  I've made it so often that I almost don't have to look at the recipe.

I decided I should tell y'all how I make it because the recipe tells you to do things way too fancy.

Sauce:
1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

Remaining ingredients:
3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
3 small dried hot red chilies, broken in half (Ash H. way: or a couple squeezes of sriracha sauce or you don't have to use it at all if you don't like spicy things.)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup dry-roasted salted cashews, chopped
3 cups hot cooked short-grain rice


  1. To prepare sauce, combine first 5 ingredients, set aside.
  2. Cut chicken across grain into 1/4-inch slices; cut slices into 1/2-inch wide strips. Cut strips into 3-inch-long pieces. (Ash H. way: just cut the chicken any which way you want.  Bite size pieces are best.)
  3. Heat a 14-inch wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add half of chicken to wok; stir-fry 2 minutes. Spoon cooked chicken into bowl. Repeat procedure with 3 teaspoons oil and remaining chicken. (Ash H. way: Cook all the chicken all the way through with oil in the bottom of the wok.  You don't even need a wok if you don't have one but it sure makes it a lot easier.)
  4. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add curry powder and chilies; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add sauce and chicken, stir-fry 1 minutes. Spoon into a serving dish. Sprinkle with cilantro and cashews. Serve over rice. (Ash H. way: Add everything but chicken and sauce.  Cook til it looks doneish.  Add chicken and sauce.  Keep cooking. You don't have to use cilantro or cashews if you don't want.)
Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails