Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's in My Butt!??

We have many students at our school who do not speak English as their first language.  Because of my wonderful ESL (English as a Second Language) endorsement, I get to help many of these kids and help my school meet all the criteria the government has set up to make sure these kiddos don't fall through the cracks.

One boy comes into my classroom for the guided reading hour every day because he is very new to the country and speaks very little English.

Today, the group he was with was reading a book about the human body.  We got to a page on cells and saw this picture:


This student asked "What's this?"

I tried to explain in the simplest terms I could what a cell is.  I said, "Cells are really small.  You can't see them with just your eyes, you need a microscope (and showed him a picture of a microscope).  They are all over your body."

Him: (Standing up quickly and examining his butt) "It's in my butt?!?!"

Me: "NO!  They're all over your body.  Everything on your body is made of cells."

The group and I laughed for a good five minutes.  I love this kid!

1 comment:

  1. Ash, your blog is great. So for that, I gave you an award. Go check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails