Tuesday, January 4, 2011

6th Grade No-No Words

We're studying microorganisms in 6th grade right now. 

Today, we watched a Bill Nye video on germs...I got the video from the district so they deemed it safe for 6th graders to watch.

At one point, Bill talks about HIV.  Then come the 90s teenagers talking about how they don't do unsafe things like "share needles or have unprotected sex."  Ugh.  I knew I'd have some issues.

As soon as the video ended

"She said a no-no word."

"What?"

"She said, 'I don't have...' a no-no word."

Sex is a no-no word?  Sure, I don't want to deal with it in the classroom because it's not my place but come on parents...twelve year olds thinking sex is a no-no word.  It's a no-no action for 6th graders but to not even think you can say sex when speaking of medical issues and microbes?  Come on!

Sex, sex, sex.

1 comment:

  1. Oh geez!! I know some six graders who are having the "no no word" and getting pregnant. OF COURSE they know what it is! By gollie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails