Thursday, July 1, 2010

Field Day

Do you remember field day as an elementary student?  I know I had them but I can't remember anything about them.  I'm sure they were fun and I'm sure I looked forward to them but the memory of them are lost in the great abyss that is early-life memories.  I guess that's what your mind does 14-20 years later...dumps the less important memories to make room for more important stuff like home addresses, birthdays, and social security numbers.

Today was field day at my school.  I have been looking forward to this and the 6th graders vs. teachers kick ball game all. freaking. year.

My plan was to just watch and supervise (like a good teacher).  My students' plans were much different.  Within 2 minutes of field day starting, I was soaking wet.  Once I realized my underwear were never going to dry, I decided to live it up.  I slip 'n slid-ed my way into my students memories, dumped buckets of water on sixth graders who drive me crazy, and let 6th graders talk me into going into the dunk tank.

Yes, I was the LAST person in the school to go in and was totally disgusted by the state of the water (500+ kids in a small pool of water = some sort of water-born disease) but it made the kids happy and I guess that's what it's about, right?


P.S. The 6th grade vs. teacher game was Wednesday afternoon...teachers dominated again...14 to 3.  Silly 6th graders thinking they could ever win.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this brought me back to my 6th grade field day. I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your students were so sad to leave you! You are such a fun teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails