Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Odd Family Dynamics

My student L. (I just realized that I have a bunch of kids with the same initial...this is not the same L. as here and here.) and all her friends began playing this family game. It's really quite dumb they just call each other brother, sister, cousin, mom, dad, etc. A few days ago, they told me of the game.

"Miss J.! You should be in our family! You can be grandma!"

Cue my exaggerated frowny face. "Ouch, L. That hurts. How about I'm your super awesome aunt?"

"Yep, that will work."

Today, during recess, L. comes up to me and says, "Miss J. We need to get you a husband so we can have a super awesome uncle. How about Mr. L?" (the only single male teacher at our school.)

All other girls, "No! He's mean to us. He yells a lot." (BTW, he is not mean but he does "yell," that is just the kind of person he is, I personally want to begin teaching like him because when he talks, his students listen, which mine have forgotten how to do lately.)

L. chimes in with, "Miss J. I have a better idea. You can date my cousin."

My only thought was "Please don't be talking about a 'cousin' at school. That's just creepy." Trying to figure out if it truly is a cousin, I ask, "Ummm...how old is your cousin?"

"Like 20."

"No, L. That won't work."

"Awwww. But Miss J. It would be so cool if we were related."

Ummmm...Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails