Thursday, November 12, 2009

I'm the Best Math Teacher...EVER

Ok, I know the title is a super huge lie but I am on top of the world today after our math test.

Let's preface this story with the fact that I work in a school where most kids get 30-50% on the end of year tests. The kids have not been expected to work really hard in years past. Well, that had to change this year. We became a Title I school and have to prove that we are improving. These kids now work their little bums off.

Even with all the extra time spent on math, the math aides, pull-out and push-in groups, my class still struggles. They consistently get about a 50% average in math. My high scores in math have been about 80%.

Well, this math block we changed things up a bit. We have the resource kids stay with us for math instruction then they get another dose of the same thing in a more individualized setting with the special ed. teacher.

My scores shot up. I about peed my pants when I began correcting. I got 6, count them 6, 100%s and my class average was 80%. And I still have 3 kids that need to take the test and they are all kids who excel at math. Hallelujah! We're getting it!

Today was a happy teaching day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails