Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Math is Fun

After our horrible math week I decided we were going to have a great week this week.

Monday, we learned converting fractions to decimals...my students were amazing at it!

Tuesday, we learned scientific notation...my students were freaking geniuses.

Today, I asked if they knew how to multiply with decimals. They all did so I thought, "Just in case someone doesn't know how (which there are always those few who won't speak up even if I sound like I'm speaking a foreign language), I'll have my students play teacher and teach me how to multiply decimals."

It was awesome. They loved it! I even called them Mr. So-and-so or Miss So-and-so. They ate it up. I also let them call me by my first name (ooooo! Wait! You're first name isn't Miss?) because I was a student, not a teacher. I think that was their favorite part of the entire experience. Even though I know they all learned a lot, I'm sure the "What did you learn today?" conversation went something like this:

Parent: "What did you learn at school today?"

Student: "Well, I learned that Miss J's first name is Ashley and she let us be the teachers for the day."

Parent: "I'm going to have to call that school and see what kind of hair brain teacher they've hired to teach my student blah...blah...my tax dollars...blah...blah ...letting kids have fun in school...blah...Who does she think she is?...blah...I'm an irrational parent...blaaaaahhhhh.

I may be exaggerating just a little. But we had fun and the kids were super invested and eager to teach us all how to do the math so I did my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails